Saturday, January 8, 2011

Weekend Video




Just saw Sofia Coppola's new movie "Somewhere". I loved it but I can fully understand how some people would find it aggravating. First, while the film is about connection (or the lack of), it's cast in a louche world of fame, privilege and indolence. Secondly, Coppola has a still photographic style that any one addicted action and fast cuts would have trouble sitting through. Coppola sets up the frame (beautifully), allows a scene to leisurely unfold, and then is on to the next wry vignette. What no-one could quibble with is Coppola's taste in music and how she uses it. All her movies have original song choices and I came out of this film stuck on the song "I'll Try Anything Once" by Julian Casablancas of The Strokes which is used as a something of a refrain throughout the film.

So here's the song (above) and the trailer (below). For readers of this blog (i.e. intelligent, visual, open-minded people) the film is a good bet!




5 comments:

Joe Holmes said...

Loved that movie. Coppola really knows how to play with our expectations. -- when someone gets threatening phone calls, you just know it's going to be important later in the film. Except when it isn't! And what a great performance from Elle Fanning. (Such a great daddy-daughter film.)

Roger Mensink said...

There are a few intelligent, visual, open-minded people who didn't like the film not just because it replaced a minimalist photographic style of filmmaking that still manages to say something with the vapid musings of an overprivileged it-girl but because the film actually damages cinema by presenting us with a false choice between tentpole blockbuster shoot 'em ups and a mere caricature of a serious film.

Raul Bonatiu said...

i want to see this movie!!
<3

zara said...

Reading a couple of reviews/comments on this elsewhere left me feeling uncertain I want to see this. I love Coppola's 'photographic',slow, almost static way of directing - Lost in Translation is, if not may favorite movie, then most certainly one of the movies I enjoyed most of all I have seen so far; have seen it...too many times, I guess. But I guess I'll give a go

Jeremy Kid said...

Will definitely need to check it out. Thanks!