Thursday, April 1, 2010

Line and Form

So often when people are observing the change of seasons we get the same sky/horizon/ground composition with the straight line of the horizon dissecting the picture plane. Paul Octavious, however, had the originality to see that the curve of a hill had a novel and dynamic effect, and so in his series "Same Hill, Different Day" we are treated to a refreshing sight. As Octavious explains on his website:

For the past 2 years I have visited a beautiful mound of earth that I have come to call "the hill." Each time I have come to the hill a new story is told to me as if the hill is my stage and the locals are the actors in this daily play.

Nice job!

Likewise - James Reeve, who is one of the exhibitors in the forthcoming Hyeres Photo Festival, has refreshed the night landscape genre by covering so many different locales. I haven't seen the prints yet, but the j-pegs look beautiful. More by Reeve can be seen here and below.

La Rouviere, Marseille

Las Vegas


Gulf of Thailand

Albert Bridge, London


Dan Milham said...

Wonderful selections. The Hill is a great idea very well executed.

Anonymous said...

oh my! these are pee-in-my-pants gorgeous!!!


Alice Olive said...

Oh. Wow. The Paul Octavious shots are amazing. Thank you for sharing. I am in awe of his perspective.

enrique said...

How we've missed you! Welcome back!

Katie said...

Wow, this is really awesome. I love the sort of 'stage' the hill sets up...the silhouettes are beautiful, but I also love the photo with the kites; it holds so much action! This is a very interesting way to view landscapes and horizon lines. I love it!

The Photodiarist said...

Am having so much fun on your blog at this moment!