Friday, April 10, 2009

Weekend Video

Sometimes we're ahead of the curve and sometimes we're way behind. Case in point, this video from the film "Playing For Change" - a cover of Ben E. King's "Stand By Me" recorded by street musicians from around the world. It's now been seen by nearly 9 million people on YouTube alone but somehow passed me by until I received a link from my friend Tom Adler.

Created by filmmakers Mark Johnson and Jonathan Walls, this clip comes from a longer film where the filmmakers traveled around the world, finding musicians to bring their own individual style to pre-recorded backing tracks of songs like "Stand By Me", "Don't Worry" and Bob Marley's "One Love". The purpose of the project, which led to the formation of a foundation to help impoverished people in the areas visited, is to show how music brings people together regardless of their cultural differences. Count me in.


giggles said...

Yep, this story was on Bill Moyers Journal on PBS (twice, now)....very wonderful, generous guy and this cynic a little bit of hope and puts a smile on her face.... Glad you're sharing!

Music is a universal language, and you don't need to know the words....

Have a great weekend!

Linda S. Socha said...

Talk about Synchonicity....I just did the same post yesterday...Ah well what can I say...something like...great minds tend to...?

moe lauher said...

Thanks for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, James, very cool indeed. I always think of street musicians as people engaged in a very exposed and lonely pursuit, working for very small rewards. By connecting all these people from around the world through a single song, the filmmakers turn the street musician from quasi-panhandlers into something much more meaningful and powerful. I will likely look at them a little differently.


Giles said...

This guy tends to bring people together as well...

Thanks for the great blog Danziger.


jr said...

I really appreciate your weekend videos :)
I rarely have the chance to keep up with this sort of thing.

And this video reminds me a bit of a band from the 60s or 70s (of which the name escapes me) that I saw a piece on. They started off in a train station in eastern Africa (I also forget the country) - maybe you could help me out a little.. Anyway, I thought they were pretty interesting.