Thursday, September 4, 2008

Garry Winogrand - Part 2




Reading John Szarkowski's quote about Garry Winogrand - that his ambition was "through photography to know life" - was a felicitous find as I just uncovered a disc of images that had been offered to me years ago. They were a large group of early pictures the photographer had taken of his first wife, Adrienne, and their children - Laura and Ethan. What struck me then and perhaps even more now is the way they combine Winogrand's distinctive off-kilter vision with the kind of snaps many parents take. Not all the pictures in the group were good, yet each of the ones I'm illustrating here seem to me remarkable. Loving but probing, gentle yet removed.

























3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to say the 1st is my favorite and the natural use of forced perspective in the 2nd is nice as well.

On a different note, I stopped by Danziger Projects for my first time tonight for the RFK exhibit which was really great. I was a little disappointed to find the room absent of Fusco mainly because I lugged my book along with me. However, viewing the images on a large scale was a beautiful way to experience them.

Thanks for that. I do believe that series has become one of my all-time favorites.

Best,

-MG

The Year in Pictures said...

I apologize for any inconvenience due to Fusco's absence. He was called away to Europe and there was nothing we could do except leave a message on our voice mail.

However, we did offer to take any books and have them signed if any one asked.

The offer still holds and we'll try for a make-up date.
Just sign up to be on the Danziger Projects e-mail list
and we'll notify you.

Wooden Shutters said...

I love Garry Winogrand and it nice to see some photos that are not so well known. I think he is the Edward Hooper of 20th Century American Photography.

The image of the girl with the balloons is magical.

Do you know if any English galleries have any of his photo's on display?